Hi, I’m Anna. I am a holistic yoga and mindfulness teacher who has been immersed in yoga all of my life.
Growing up in India — the birthplace of yoga — I would watch my father meditate and do sun salutations barefoot before I eventually began my formal training with one of eight yoga masters in India, Master Kamal Srinivas. Then I went on to pursue extensive training in yoga, meditation, mindfulness, musculoskeletal anatomy, ayurveda and myofascial release in India and the US.
My group classes and private sessions integrate the diversity of my 700+ hours of teacher training in all of these modalities with the hard-earned skills of 4000+ hours of teaching experience with students of all levels and capabilities.
My offerings are created to immerse you in mindfulness. I weave themes from ancient Yogic and Buddhist philosophy as well as modern scientific theories into each class — so that you will leave class with some food for thought to practice in daily life.
Each moment is a chance to learn and I take each day as an opportunity to live a more yogic life. I am always exploring ways to incorporate the skill sets and tools that I have learned over the years to live a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life, and I find meaning and purpose in sharing these skills sets and tools with my students.
I live in Northern Virginia with 5 earthlings: my husband, two human and two non-human children.
Trainings & Certifications:
- Classical Yoga, Pranayama Breathing & Ayurveda Training: Indian Master Kamal Srinivas
- Therapeutic Yoga for Seniors Professional training: Duke University, Integrative Medicine Campus
- Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Certification program: for teaching awareness and compassion-based practices taught by Jack Kornfield and Tara Brach and the certification is issued by the Awareness Training Institute and UC Berkley’s Greater Good Science Center
- Advanced Yoga Certification: Kripalu Center, Massachusetts and CorePower Yoga
- Yin Yoga Certification: Jo Phee
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction: Insight Meditation Community of Washington DC
- Mindful Self-Compassion Training: Dr. Kristin Neff and Dr. Chris Germer
- The Year of Living Mindfully: with Jonathan Foust
Mentors & Teachers:
- Master Kamal Srinivas: One of eight living Indian Yoga Masters, Patanjali Institute of India
- Jack Kornfield: Founder, Spirit Rock Meditation Center
- Tara Brach: Founder, Insight Meditation Community of Washington DC
- Jo Phee: International teacher and Senior Assistant to Yin Yoga founders Paul Grilley & Sarah Powers
- Jonathan Foust: Founder, Mindfulness Training Institute of Washington DC
- Dr. Kristin Neff and Dr. Chris Germer: Founders, Center for Mindful Self-Compassion
Causes I support, join me in supporting their work:
- Saandhwanam (Sanskrit meaning a place of comfort/peace). This is small orphanage in Kerala, my place of birth in India, which I had the privilege of visiting in Oct 2017 along with the group of 17 travelers from the US. This cause is close to my heart as I grew up in an orphanage myself in the same area in India (after I lost my mother when I was 7) and was the beneficiary of kindness from people in the US and Europe. Learn more about Saandhwanam and my visit there.
- Compassion for animals Animals and the Buddha Voice for the voiceless: Humane Society – Join me and become a donor.
- Save the Children: Please meet my sponsored children: Issac from Virginia and Nana from Niger. You can help a child for a monthly donation of mere $30 in the US and $18 outside the country. Please support them!
- Operation Smile: Join me and become a donor. Please support their work thru a small monthly donation and bring smile to a child and their mother.?
- Doctors without Borders: “We look for the places where the conditions are the worst — the places where others are not going — and that’s where we want to be.” – Médecins Sans Frontières. Join me in supporting their work.
When I come across things that are worth reading or listening to, I make a post about it in my blog to share with you. I hope you enjoy my blog category: Stuff That Inspires Me.